Data Visualization Specialist
National Audubon Society
Stakeholders in the Environmental/Conservation arena need credible information on which to base their decisions at local, national, and international scales. The synthesis and visualization of existing data, collected by Audubon and its partners, offers the potential to provide actionable insights to these critical individuals and groups. Consequently Audubon and its partners are developing interactive scorecards for all conservation activities to inform field staff and to communicate efforts to various supporters and funders. As part of Audubon's National Science Division, the Data Visualization Specialist will be primarily responsible for leading the organization's visualizations of key conservation datasets for its priority projects in the Strategic Plan.
Reporting to team leader for Conservation Scorecards, the Specialist will lead the creation of compelling visualizations for multiple audiences as part of a dashboard/scorecard team. S/he will engage in, but not be limited to, the following.
- Acting as a storyteller, translating complex analytical results into easily digested visualizations.
- Partnering with data engineering and strategy/planning teams to correctly interpret, understand and use available data.
- Creating and managing a system for generating automated reports on a regular basis using publication-quality metrics for measuring the impact of n the ground conservation work.
- Creating polishing and re-purposing slideshow presentation.
- Designing visualization concepts that present Audubon's conservation successes to general audiences and working with Audubon's content team, implementing through web stories.
- Developing and continuously improving processes, tools, and techniques.
- Work with field and science staff to pre-stage data from multiple sources in preparation for data blending and subsequent analytics.
- Design and implement accessible, high-impact visualizations that clearly communicate conservation results, elucidate patterns, promote accountability, generate actionable insights, and facilitate decision making.
- Work iteratively in collaboration with the strategy/planning team to refine initial concepts and prototypes that can be presented to stakeholders for feedback.
- Lead the complete lifecycle of visual analytics; from development of mockups to storyboards to complete production ready, automated visualizations.
- Oversee a repository of re-usable data visualization templates and views.
- Manage permissions to access visualizations.
- Foster collaboration by communicating effectively with staff from different disciplines and with varying levels of technology expertise.
Qualifications & Expertise:
- BA or BS degree plus 3-5 years of experience in data visualization, data mining, and data analysis.
- Proven skill designing and presenting complex data sets in a variety of visually compelling formats.
- Advanced skills in working with data visualization tools such as Tableau, Pentaho, or similar data discovery, visualization, or infographic techniques.
- A self-starter, one with creative, entrepreneurial spirit and an interest in keeping current with emerging tools and technologies.
- Proficiency with large relational databases and SQL is required; experience with other data manipulation technology is helpful.
- Famliarity with ESRI software products and their integration with visualization tools
- Excellent communication skills, including presenting to technical and business stakeholders are various levels in the organization.
- Strong analytical skills with demonstrated experience in data manipulation and statistics.
- Willingness to participate in all levels of project work when necessary and continuously serve as a team player.
- A passion for data and visual storytelling to achieve conservation goals