Teaching and Learning Transformation Center (TLTC) Workshop: Using Online Tools to Support Group Work
Thinking about trying group or team work and want to know how ELMS and other online tools can make your life easier? Already using teams, but want to find better ways to grade or encourage collaboration? Come work with TLTC and LTD staff to learn about ways better structure group work, ways to determine group member selection, and how ELMS and other online tools can help you support teams and encourage collaboration.
This is an active workshop where you will have time to work on your own course with the help of instructional designers, so please bring your own laptop or email firstname.lastname@example.org if need us to provide you one.
By the end of the workshop participants will be able to:
- Describe different ways to assign students into groups and teams
- Describe social loafing and strategies to avoid social behavior is group work
- Describe characteristics of group work that encourage equitable participation
- Set up groups in ELMS
- Set up a group assignment in ELMS
- Create a Discussion Board group assignment
- Explain the value of and how to create clear guidelines for student online discussions
- Integrate collaboration tools such as Google Docs, blogs, and wikis
Location: UMCP, McKeldin Library, Room 4120