AL Open House
Join us for our annual Open House from 10:00 am until 2:00 pm to learn about science with hands-on experiments for the whole family, meet the scientists working in your community, and enjoy aerial drone demonstrations to learn how scientists at AL are using this technology to enhance their research efforts.
Other activities will include:
- Shrink Your Foodprint - Learn how the food that you eat affects the climate
- Hands on Science Demonstrations
- The Dirt Doctor - Find out why soil is so critical to plants and animals
- What Does the Otter Eat? - Learn about the ecology of the river otter
- Phenology, Climate Change, and Art - Channel your inner artist by sketching an dpating a biological illustration of a species of interest while learning about how their life cycle must be accurately timed with seasonal cues
- Enviroscape - Learn what you can do to make your water cleaner using the hands-on Enviroscape stream model
- Maryland's Flying Mammals - Gain a better understanding of why bats are important to our ecosystem
- Where in Western Maryland? - Brush up on your observation and recall skills to play this fun game and guess where in western Maryland aerial photographs were taken
The Appalachian Laboratory is located at 301 Braddock Road, just ¼ mile north of exit 33 on Interstate 68. Parking is free. For more information, call 301-689-7100.
This year’s Open House is being held in partnership with Frostburg State University and Allegany County Public Schools’ Western Maryland STEM Festival.